Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Phyllis Coates other shows


With everyone still thinking of Superman Returns I thought I would talk about one of the first Lois Lanes. I am talking about Phyllis Coates from the Adventures of Superman. She has always been a mystery to me after she left the series that made her famous. I never saw her in anything again. As it turns out she did do other series and movies they just didn’t become hits and most of the TV series were on and off the air before I was born. Actually the Adventures of Superman was too but it was a big enough that it reran for years and I saw it in reruns. Most of what she starred in on TV were sit-coms. I guess she wanted a break from the drama and superheroics.
From July 2 1954 to September 3, 1954 she co-starred in “The Duke” with Paul Gilbert as “Duke” London a boxer who also wanted to become a famous painter. He met a Harvard graduate named Rudy who helped him try to accomplish this goal. Duke’s trainer Johnny (Allen Jenkins) and his promoter Sam (Sheldon Leonard) kept trying to get him to concentrate more on his fighting. Miss. Coates played his new society girlfriend Gloria in the series.
From January 8, 1955 to July 2, 1955 Miss. Coates was seen on TV in Professional Father. Steve Dunne was Thomas Wilson MD a child psychologist. At work he gave wise advice to parents on how to handle the problems they were having. At home with his wife Helen, played by Barbara Billingsley before Leave It to Beaver, and their children he seemed to forget everything that he told his patients. What part did Miss. Coates play? She was cast as Nurse Madge Allen. It doesn’t sound like it was a very big part to me.
In 1958 she was on This Is Alice. I couldn’t find much information on this program but it was about the adventures of a 9 year old little girl named Alice. Miss. Coates played her mother. It sounds like it was a female version of Dennis the Menace.
She kept busy making movies in between series but these are the other TV shows that Phyllis Coates starred in. I just wanted to let any of her fans who, like me, were only familiar with her work on Superman. Posted by Picasa

No comments: