Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Scariest Movie I Have Ever Seen!


Ok here is the scariest film I have ever seen in my life. The movie is “Brian’s Song.” What! You didn’t think Brian’s Song” was a scary movie? Well then you weren’t a ten your old when you saw it. The movie was released in 1971 starring James Caan as Brian Piccolo and Billy Dee Williams as Gayle Sayers. As many know they were football players for the Chicago Bears. The movie was based on the book “I Am Third” by Gayle Sayers. The title of the book referred to Gayle’s Christian beliefs. Jesus first, family and friends are second and himself third. The book was Gayle’s autobiography and at the center of the story of the movie was about Brian and Gayle’s friendship and how it weathered the storm when Brian was diagnosed with cancer. The closing scene when Brain dies is one of the most frightening moments I have ever seen on film. Here was this still healthy strong looking young football player and he was being eaten up inside by his own body. This scared me so much because it was the first time I realized that you didn’t have to be old to die. That meant that even though I was only 10 that I could die before I reached 11. I didn’t sleep hardly at all for weeks. The scriptwriter for the film was William Blinn who also created one of my favorite buddy cop shows. That show was Starsky and Hutch. So Mr. Blinn your television cops created much happiness for me. However, your script for “Brian’s Song”…SCARED THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME!!!


To top it all off I got to see how true to life the movie was when it depicted how cancer kills. My Dad died of colon cancer 13 years ago. He was a big, strong, healthy man and looked healthy even at his funeral. Just like Brian Piccolo looked strong and healthy in the last scene of the movie. The funeral director at my Dad's funeral said that Dad looked so healthy that they hardly had to do any touch up on him. As you can tell I have never watched “Brian’s Song” again.

No comments: