Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Showcase Presents the Haunted Tank


I have just read Showcase Presents the Haunted Tank. It was a fun read as I never read the Haunted Tank while growing up so all the stories were new to me. However, there are a few problems with this series. First I don't understand why a military genius like Col. Jeb Stuart was chosen by the writer to be the focal point of the series. He was a leader in the South in the Civil War and they lost the war. I would have chosen a Northern military leader to guide the tank and its crew. I know the tank commander and the tank itself were named after the Col. and that is why he was guarding them. Still the writer could have changed the name to something like U.S. Grant or another military leader. At the start of the series the says that tank comander Jeb Stuart Smith and his three friends Rick, Slim and Arch grew up together and played on Jeb's farm. I know that there are farms in the North but I and most people I know usually think of the South when farms are mentioned. So for more then half of the book I thought I was reading the war stories of 4 southern boys and a ghost. Suddenly the ghost seems angry that he is guarding 4 northern boys. What gives? I know that writers back then treated comic books as if they were not going to last and be thrown away but when put together there are continuity errors. Don't take this as I didn't like the book. I did and I will buy the second volume. I just noticed these errors and wanted to mention them. The stories were well written otherwise and the art is top notch.

No comments: