Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Monkees and I Didn't Know You Had It In You Sally, You're A Real Ball Of Fire


Well I finally got to listen to the new Monkees song. Now these days it is a real treat to listen to any new and previously unreleased Monkees song as Rhino seems to be near empty on that material. I couldn't wait to listen to it and went to the turn table on my stero and to my shock found that the 45 adapter was gone. It was a long time since I had listen to a 45 so I don't know how long it had been missing. I tried going to stores to get a new one and was prepared for stunned and shocked looks that a person in the 21st century would still need one. Of all the store I went to only one person gave me an odd look and had to think for a moment of what a 45 adapter was. Another kid of around 15 or 16 had never heard of a 45 adapter. Anyway none of the stores had one. When I got home my wife had found the adapter in the basement. In just a few seconds I listened to this 38 year old song that had not been released until now. Since I had read that the insturmental part had been finished in 1966 (the vocals were done in 1969) I was expecting it to sound like Teardrop City or I'm a Believer. Instead it sounded more like Tapioca Tundra only not as good. Micky's vocals were so nasal that I had to listen very close to tell it was him. The sound was so completely different that my wife had to ask me if it really was the Monkees. There were certain vocal inflections that assured me it was Micky. So I told her it was the Monkees and I had not been taken. The filp side was an alternate mix of Daydream Believer. I have heard that so many times that I thought I wouldn't like it but in comparison to the newest find in the Monkees vault the new Daydream Believer was a pleasant listening experience.

So I am happy to have this rare song in the Monkees history. However, it was an expensive record to buy since I had it purchase the two new CD's to get it. Still I probably would have wound up getting those anyway later on. If anyone else got this please leave a comment and let me know what you thought about it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agee - "Sally" ain't no ball of fire, it sounds like a lesser version of "DW Washburn".. The alternate mix of "Daydream Believer" is cool though. I thought the cd's might kind of re-treads as well -- but I've only had the opportunity to hear the "mono" PACJ so far- but WOW! It blows my friggin' socks off - the sound is phenomenal! That disc alone was been worth the admission price for the set.

Rick L. Phillips said...

Have you already gotten the new CDs? I only got the single and I figured that the CDs were still on the way. I will have to call Rhino.

Anonymous said...

They all arrived on Monday in one package. I have listened to everything now - since I already have the "headquarters sessions" The deluxe edition really didn't add much for me. But man - that mono PACJ I can't stop listening to it. It's just awesome.

Mr Moon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
C.Syde65 said...

The instrumental part was recorded in January 1967, not 1966.