Sunday, September 09, 2007

Rest in Peace Gary Frohn


A moment of reality and sadness to interject the lighthearted fun on this site. An old member of my high school class I recently found out died on Friday. Gary and I were not what I would call close friends. He did live up the street from me and from time to time he and I along with other friends from the neighborhood would play basketball. For some reason the only memory I have of those games with Gary was both of us going up for a rebound together. Neither one of us got it as Gary said "ouch" and it surprised me. Later he told me why when he said "Get your finger nails cut or something. You scratched me there." I never thought that was funny till just now. It is odd what things will make you smile in moments of sadness.

Gary was an athlete and an honor student in high school at Lloyd Memorial High. He was a star player on the tennis team and captain in his senior year. He was on the freshman Basketball team, a member of student council and the National Honor Society. In his senior year he was part of the senior play and a member of the Homecoming Court. Recently I heard that Gary didn't live too far from here with his wife and kids. Perhaps I could have drove over to see him some time had I known he was still so close. Visitation is at Stith Funeral in Florence,Ky this Tuesday starting at 4pm. If you read this blog and knew Gary you can call Stith to get the exact times. I plan to stop by after work to pay my last respects to my old high school mate.

No comments: