Sunday, March 02, 2008

Rest In Peace Larry Norman



----------------
Listening to: Larry Norman - I Wish We'd All Been Ready
via FoxyTunes

----------------
Listening to: Larry Norman - I Wish We'd All Been Ready
via FoxyTunes Larry Norman

Larry Norman

[via FoxyTunes / Larry Norman]


I heard that one of the founders of Contemporary Christian Music, formerly known as Jesus Rock when it first started, Larry Norman died. One of the first Christian Rock songs I heard played and my youth department even sang in church was his song "I Wish We'd All Been Ready." I hope when the Lord returns that we all are. The one reason I have taken longer then usual in posting this, as Mr. Norman passed away last week, is because I was trying to find a way to embed the song here so others could listen to it. I have not had much luck in doing that with the audio only version of Larry Norman singing. So below you can see the video of DC Talk preforming the song. You have to hear it. There version is beautiful.



In the 1960's and 1970's not too many people were producing rock music with Christian lyrics as rock and roll music was closely associated with the Devil and to some people it was called the Devil's Music. Larry Norman was one of the first to show you can still love the Lord Jesus and enjoy rock and roll. He had tried making a career in the secular world of rock and roll but it didn't work out as well as he had hoped, even though his group did have a top 40 hit with a song called "I Love You." He then left the group to release his first solo Christian Rock album called "Upon This Rock" in 1969. It was from this album that "I Wish We'd All Been Ready" was released.
Here is a link to his site Larry Norman.com. Also, here is what Kent at Forgotten Hits has to say about Larry Norman.

No comments: