Sunday, April 06, 2008

Rest In Peace Charlton Heston


I heard early this morning that Charlton Heston died. Unlike some people I have reported on here whose works I like I actually met Mr. Heston. It was at Media Play in Florence, Ky. when he was promoting the book above. There were alot of people there and I was asked how far I came to meet Mr. Heston by a local reporter. Since I lived in the neighboring town I didn't make the cut for the news. The reporter seemed frustrated that most of the people there were locals. They wanted to get interviews with people who lived much farther away. I read the first chapter in line and when I got to talk to Mr. Heston he was very nice. He asked me if I liked the book. I thought perhaps he thought I bought it earlier and already read it. I told him I only read the first chapter in line and it seemed pretty good. He signed the book and said "I hope you like it." I told him I was sure I would and I moved on as I didn't want to hold up the line with a lot of questions.




Yesterday, I watched the movie I Am Legend starring Will Smith. It is another movie based on the book by Richard Matheson. Mr. Heston starred in the Omega Man that was also another movie based on the book. In a way I Am Legend is a remake of the Omega Man. Sad to say I didn't care for Omega Man but the new version is pretty good.

Later that night my wife and I watched an episode of The Big Bang Theory. You can see the streaming video of the episode if you go here. It has a scene where Leonard and some friends put on monkey mask to see a movie marathon of Planet of the Apes. It is all in order to stay away from Sheldon who is sick and not a very good patient. When I heard Mr. Heston died I thought that my Saturday afternoon was, without my realizing it, a tribute to Charlton Heston. It is nice to have a pleasant memory of meeting him and I can always enjoy his work when I see his classic movies again.

No comments: