Saturday, November 19, 2005

Firestorm

He maybe the most popular hero to come out of the DC Implosion. Firestorm the Nuclear Man. He is on the cover above with Superman. Sorry I didn't have a copy of the cover of any of Firestorm's books. I couldn't find any in my collection and I did still have this one. Anyway in researching Firestorm I came across Wikipedia and they have a very detailed page on Firestorm so I suggest you go to this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestorm_%28comics%29 However my personal recollection of Firestorm is to me he seemed like DC's reaction to Nova from Marvel comics. He probably wasn't but they were sometimes trying to copy each other. As examples, DC had the Atom then Marvel had Ant-Man. Marvel had Mr. Fantastic so DC started using Plastic Man and for a short while Jimmy Olsen was Elastic Lad. DC had Batman Marvel tried to turn Moon Knight and Daredevil into there Batman. Recently Marvel found drawings of a character that Stan Lee and John Buscema created called Sentry. He was to be their version of Superman. Marvel had success with a teenage superhero now DC needs one. Up poped Firestorm. Firestorm only lasted about 6 issues when he first came out. He has had 2 other series since then. So far the 2nd series was the most popular as it lasted 100 issues. They kept him around by having him join the JLA. As a matter of fact the issue above is important in Firestorm's career. At the end of the story Superman asked him to join the JLA. About a month later he had his first adventure with them. Marvel should have had Nova join the Avengers instead of the New Warriors. He may still be around in his original form today. Nova's personality has changed abit over the years. But I guess that happens as you grow up. Posted by Picasa

No comments: