Friday, August 17, 2007

Superman 198


I was going over some old comics today and seeing what I needed to get rid of and what I wanted to keep. To my surprise I came across Superman #198. I remember seeing this cover many times and was interested as to what the story was that was in the book. I was surprised to see it as I don't remember buying it or anyone giving it to me. This was one of those that I decided to get rid of but I had to read the story before I did.

Back in the 1960's you always saw covers that made the story look interesting but it turned out to be really dull. However, this story was pretty good. Clark is in a meeting with Lois and Perry when the bearded Clark burst in and exposes his identity. He says that Superman is evil and he took Clark's place and kept the real Clark in an underground cave as a prisoner. An earthquake freed him and now he is going to expose Superman for what he really is. Superman quickly gets him out of there and finds out that he is really from another dimension and traveled to this one when the earthquake opened up a rift between the worlds. Superman takes him back and battles the evil superman to defend their Metropolis. In the end we find that everyone on this world is really a robot. Superman knew it was all fake when he noticed that everyones body temperature was 60 degrees and the city looked too shiny and new. It was all a trap by the Superman Revenge Squad and they placed a forcefield around the world so Superman couldn't escape. The force filed was starting to close and it was a race between Superman and the Squads spaceship to see who would make it. Of course Superman made it and the Superman Revenge Squad had their ship destroyed by the very forcefield they made to trap Superman. This was a really good story and in my opinion one of the best of Supermans from the 1960's.

1 comment:

Luke said...

>> In the end we find that everyone on this world is really a robot.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why the Silver Age is so great.

Blasted robots! They ruin everything!