Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Good Bye Old Friend


Well I got some sad news today, I guess I should say yesterday since I am post dating this, it is that Showcase Cinemas was closed down today in Erlanger, Ky. I have lived in this town since I was 13 years old. It is sad as to me when I was a teenager and even into my adulthood it was like a second home. I was an Usher there in my high school years and kept going there when I could afford to see a movie. Each time I went I saw the crowds grow smaller and smaller. Today they closed to make room for a new and more expensive theater in Florence, Ky. The last movie I saw there was Fantastic Four:Rise of the Silver Surfer so you know I did my best to be a faithful former Usher of the staff. I hope Erlanger gets a new first run movie theater soon. I don't like fighting traffic near the Mall where the Florence Theater will soon be.

The first time I saw Star Wars with there with my cousin Steve. I had many dates there with the girls I dated. I become friends with people there that I would not have met anyplace else. For a short while my cousin Randy and I both worked there. The movie Harper Valley PTA with Barbara Eden had the world premiere there. I wasn't working that night as I had a school function to go to but later I was able to get me and a couple of friends in. The only world premiere that I ever was able to attend. Barbara wasn't there but Ronny Cox and Nanette Fabray were. When my date Linda and I were bored at a school dance we left to see Star Wars as she had not seen it yet. For me it was the 6th or 7th time and while I was getting tired of it I didn't mind taking her. When I quit to take another job my cousin Randy and I went to get my paycheck. We wanted to see the movie Rocky II but had no money. The manager on duty said I was still on the pay roll till tomorrow so I could still see the movie free as an employee. My last free movie at that theater. Not long ago when one of the new Star Wars movies came out I took my cousin and her son Josh to see it and he was thrilled as he had never seen a Star Wars movie on the big screen. I went there with my cousin Jeff and his family to see Toy Story 2 and with my cousin Jo to see the first Scooby Doo movie. The above picture is of the brightly lite marquee from a couple of years ago that I found on the internet. It is funny as is shows the new King Kong with Jack Black and the first movie I ever saw there was with my Dad was the King Kong version with Jeff Bridges. Goodbye to my second home and an old friend. Your lights may never shine so bright again but they will always be with me in my heart and in my memory. sniff!

No comments: