Monday, November 27, 2006

Rest in Peace Dave Cockrum


I just heard the sad news of the passing of artist Dave Cockrum. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Cockrum at my local comic book shop. I believe it was in the mid to late 90's. I had a plesant conversation with him as did many people who were there at the time. I forget what we talked about but I was left with a good feeling and hoped to see him at the store again someday. That was the only time he would be there and only time I would ever see him. It was the first time I bought original art. He sold me and signed a page of art that he did for a promo for the X-Men series on the Fox Network. Unfortunately I don't have the art anymore. Last I heard is that it was hanging in a comic book shop in Lexington, Kentucky. It was a thrill to meet such a famous and well respected artist like Mr. Cockrum. It was a great feeling to meet one of the creators of the New X-Men as well as the artist for the Legion of Super-Heroes. I was never a big fan of either but I loved seeing his art on them. From time to time I would buy the X-Men and I would sometimes read Legion when I would be at my cousin Randy's house. They were one of his favorites so they would always be around somewhere. Dave Cockrum you will be missed.

No comments: