Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Andy Capp

For those of you not familiar with Andy Capp he is the main character of a cartoon strip. He was created by Reginald Smythe in 1957 in England. He was an unemployed working class man. His wife is Flo Capp and their best friends are Chalkie and Rubie White. Both couples are always on the verge of poverty. Flo and Andy are always arguing about something. Usually it is about Andy staying out too late getting drunk with Chalkie. Now I know alot of people find humor in arguing. From the Bickersons to All In The Family America has laughed at married couples who fight. I have not been immune to that type of comedy. However, Andy and Flo would often get physical with their arguements. One cartoon strip actually showed them rolling out the door with their fists flying. They stop at the feet of a Bobby (policeman). They continue their fistfight but roll back inside the house. That is the way the Andy Capp cartoon strip usually was written when I was reading it. I have no idea why I bought this book but I am glad I did. Yes the fights and drinking are still in it but some of the strips show a lighter side. One of the strips has Flo and Andy walking home one night. Flo says "A fine way to treat your wife. After I've given you the best years of my life." Andy says "And who made them the best? Tell me that!" Flo puts her arm around Andy and says "You did, pet!" They continue their walk home as Andy says "Well, then." I prefer my married couples, real and fictional, to act that way. If you want to see more of Andy Capp you can go to Andy Capp.com. Andy Capp was so popular in America that books like the one pictured above were popular sellers. A line of snack foods is still available today with his name on it. At one time there were even minature golf courses with his name. In 1974 it was the humor comic stirp of the year. In 1960 there was an un official spin off called Buster. He was suppose to be Andy's son and his name was Buster Capp. However, Andy was never seen or mentioned and when his Mom was around she didn't look like Flo. Maybe Andy was married twice. Who knows? Anyway this is what I have had on my mind. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rick,

Just wanted to say that I am a 37 year old male and I too read Andy Capp as a child and although some people would frown on its "un-pc" topics, there was always something very charming about this strip. I learned to draw by copying my style from Reggie Smythe, in fact. I enjoyed the symmetry of the shapes, the bulbous noses, the hilarious way the mouths contorted when they screamed, "SHRIEK!" and the way you could never see Andy's eyes. The violence was always very cartoonish and always removed from reality. It was like an abstract reflection several generations removed from real life, gently gleaning humor from the darker side of reality. It's hard to explain the character's appeal I suppose. The more "laugh out loud" books were in the 60's and the 70's, I believe. After that, Mr. Smythe, although still whimsical in a gentler way, was not quite as out loud funny. I would say the person who has never read Andy Capp should start with any of the books from the 60's or early 70's, all of which can be easily purchased used on ebay. The strip is currently written by 2 new fellows, (reg smythe has passed on) who are actually very funny also, if anyone is so inclined to check out "the new andy capp collection" which came out in 2004 and is also very cheap. Anyway Rick, I just wanted to let you know, you're not the only one with Andy Capp on his mind from time to time... thanks! -Glenn