Friday, June 02, 2006

The Long Sandy Hair Of Neftoon Zamora By Michael Nesmith


I doubt that there is any Monkees fan that is not aware that Michael Nesmith wrote a novel called The Long Sandy Hair Of Neftoon Zamora. I got this book as a Christmas gift in 1998 the year that it came out. Like most of my reading at that time I read a chapter or two each day on the bus going to and from work. People on the bus would see the name of the author and ask me questions about it. The most one that was asked was if I liked it. While I was reading it I had a hard time making up my mind if I did like it or not. The tone of the novel changed from chapter to chapter sometimes. Some chapters seem geared toward the mystical and trying to get you to think about life. Others came as pure out action/adventure. The book starts with the central character Nez finding a recording of a song. Nez is a musician and is amazed at the voice of the singer. He finds out is the voice of Neftoon Zamora. He finds out that according to legend Neftoon is suppose to be part Zuni, part Martian and part Delta Blues musician. But there are many unanswered questions. Where on Earth is Neftoon Zamora from? Is Neftoon even from Earth? Some say he is from Mars. Does Neftoon even exist? Nez’s search for these answers takes him to an enchanted canyon village, a self-help guru and the guarded home of a millionaire control freak. Along the way he is helped by a woman called Neffie. She agrees to help him in his search and he falls in love with her. But is she really Neftoon Zamora?
In the end I really did like the book. I wish Papa Nez had been clearer on the type of novel he had written. Still I will get his next book The American Gene when it arrives in book stores. Don’t be surprised if one of the other three Monkees puts out a novel for adults. Posted by Picasa

No comments: