Thursday, May 25, 2006

Dan Poole's Spider-Man Movie The Green Goblin's Last Stand


This is my second attempt to post something about this movie. In the early 90’s filmmaker Dan Poole heard that James Cameron was going to direct the Spider-Man movie. He wanted to work on the film. So he produced, directed and starred in his own movie based on issues of Amazing Spider-Man #’s 121 and 122. The main difference in this version is that Mr. Poole still has Gwen Stacey as the damsel in distress. Where as the film that eventually was directed by Sam Raimi they had the more familiar Mary Jane Watson in the position. I can understand why. While I love Gwen, Mary Jane is better known to Spidey’s younger readers.
This movie was very entertaining and looks pretty good for being produced on a shoestring budget. It was made on video tape instead of film. I would imagine that was to keep cost down. The movie looks as good as any early Roger Corman film or any episode of the 1970’s Spider-Man TV series that starred Nicholas Hammond. Mr. Poole has treated the characters and the story with the respect and honor. It comes off as a labor of love and not something campy. Mr. Raimi did the same with his big budget film but it was nice to see that you don’t need to have millions of dollars to do the same thing. If you are a die hard Spider-Man fan then you must have this movie. It is a pleasant way to spend some time in the afternoon.
Hope you like the cover. The VHS tape I got had one but I didn’t like parts of it. I took a playing card that I had of Spider-Man and added that instead. I kept the bottom part of it as the sketch of Spidey looked pretty good and it had the title of the movie. Posted by Picasa

No comments: