Thursday, May 25, 2006

Flying Saucers Comics

Flaying Saucers comics #5 by Dell comics (before they started making computers:just kidding) is one of the first comics I remember getting. I don’t quite remember how I got it but the book was put out in 1969 and around that time my Dad had a part time job putting comic books in local Mom and Pop shops. I think he had that one and just let me keep it. Over the years I lost it but recently found this one for sale at a store for $1. It said on the front page at the bottom it was #5 but I have never seen #1-4 or even #6 and beyond for that matter. They may have just put this out to copyright the title. In the 1950’s, 1960’s and into the early 1970’s it was not uncommon to hear about people who said they saw a UFO, an alien or were abducted by aliens. From the stories I have heard these aren’t E.T. or Superman. They sound more like Lobo. The stories in this book are just as I mentioned before. The main character has a frightening encounter with aliens from another planet. Anyway the cover is by Frank Springer and he did a couple of stories on the inside. Another artist who did work on one of the stories is Sal Trapani who did the story called Strange Shoot Out. Mr. Trapani is also briefly mentioned this week at Booksteve's Library. Mr. Springer and Mr. Trapani signed their art but the others were not. If I had to guess I would say they were by Dick Giordano and Joe Kubert. If you like old comic books and Science Fiction you should get this book if you see if for sale at your local comic book shop. Posted by Picasa

No comments: