Saturday, December 10, 2005

It's A Wonderful Life

It's time for the annual viewing of "It's A Wonderful Life". A movie that has become one of the most loved of all American films over the years. However, there was a time when almost no one had ever heard of the film. It was released in 1947. The first film for Liberty productions and I believe their only film. It was also the first film back for Jimmy Stewart after having been in the service in WWII. The star was in fine form but the film flopped at the boxoffice. It did get nominated for a few Oscars but was over shadowed by "The Best Years of Their Lives" After that most people forgot the film. Roughly 25 to 30 years later the copyright expired. Most stations on tv started airing the film as it was now free. There was hardly a time when you couldn't find it on. Especially at Christmas time. It was when I was in college in 1979 or 1980 that I first heard of the film. I am a big Jimmy Stewart fan and couldn't believe that there was a film of his that I had not at least heard of. Everytime I tried to watch it I was always too late. It had either just gone off the air or was on at a time I was too busy to watch. Rememer this was before VCR's were common in every household. Finally I got to watch it on a local PBS station. But I didn't see the movie at Christmas. No the movie that has become a symbol of Christmas I got to see it in the Spring. It didn't matter. I quickly fell in love with the film. It became my favorite movie. As it became more popular and was on every station every day during the month of December I started losing interest. This nice secret find of mine was now everywhere. Then something happened. NBC bought the copyright. Now only they can air it. It is sort of nice. Now you don't get an overdose every year. People of all ages have since viewed the film and became fans just like I have. So thanks to all those stations who aired it since the 70's and to NBC for cutting down on the dosage. But I still fondly remember and long for the day when on a local PBS station I found something truly wonderful.
As you can see by the photo above I have the DVD. If you wish to purchase it you can at Amazon. Just click here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062J00S/qid=1134265745/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/104-6281411-6542349?n=130
or click on the title above. Posted by Picasa

No comments: