Thursday, June 29, 2006

My Two Cents on Superman Returns


Well I went to see Superman Returns today. First I want to tell you to stop reading if you have not seen the movie and plan to see it. First off for my money I would rather rent one of the old Christopher Reeve movies then see this film again. Now don’t get me wrong the actors did well and the directing of the shots was very good. I did have a problem with two scenes in the film. One actually made me want to throw up. I probably should have suspected this stuff as I have heard that this was a darker Superman then we had seen before. I guess I like my Superman lighter. First is the whole idea of Lois as a Mom. I have no problem with single Mothers. It is just that it isn’t holding in continuity from the books. Lois has never been a Mom in the comics. Of course they are trying to pick up where they left off with the old Superman movie series. So they are creating their own continuity. It was not real surprising that the kid is not the son of Lois’ current boyfriend. He is really Superman’s son. Lois may be a beliver in women's rights but she has never struck me as someone who would have a child out of wedlock. Also the girl playing Lois Lane looks like she is 15 years old. A fellow I worked with also saw the movie and said he didn't like coming out of the theater wondering if Superman had to pay for child support.
What was the scene that made me sick? Well first you have to know that Luthor married a wealthy woman (played by Noel Neill). She dies and he gets all her money. He leaves with his real girlfriend the woman’s maid to find the Fortress of Solitude. They leave her two little dogs home alone. A long time later they come back. They see only one dog eating on a bone with bits of fur all around. Luthor’s girlfriend says “Weren’t there two of them?” THE DOG ATE THE OTHER DOG!!! YUCK!!!!! This is one DVD I don’t think I want under my tree at Christmas. Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to go rent Superman the Movie to get this out of my mind.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: