Friday, June 30, 2006

Millie The Model


Marvel has announced that they will release a Marvel Milestones of Mille the Model and Patsy Walker this month. I am not too familer with Miss. Walker. I know she was a comedy comic book and the character was later revived as a superhero called Hellcat. It is Millie who I used to read. Again I have to thank my Mom and Dad. Her books were part of what they sold by bundeling up 3 books and selling them for 29 cents. Books back then were about 15 cents each so you saved 16 cents. With inflation today that might cost you $5 for that bundle. Anyway Millie was the longest running humor book that Marvel comics had. It had numerous spin- offs and for a time I imagine it was a close rivil to Archie. As a matter of fact Archie artist Dan DeCarlo was the main artist on Millie the Model for along time. Her boyfriend Clicker looked alot like Archie for awhile. Millie had a close friend/rivil with another model named Chili. They were alot like Betty and Veronica. Millie of course was Betty and Chili was Veronica on a really bad day. Chili was so popular that she spun off into her own series for a couple of years. It was the only spin off of Millie the Model that didn't have stories revolve around Millie. They of course had Chili at the center. The Millie the Model line of books were all canceled by 1973. I did read that there were two Millie the Model Queen Size issues in 1974 or 75. I doubt that they were reprints so soon after being canceled. My guess is that Marvel saw that they had all these stories finished before the cancelation and already paid the creators. So they decided to publish 2 more issues just to try and get some of their money back. Just as Patsy Walker crossed over into the real Marvel universe, Millie I have heard has been seen in some issues of She-Hulk, Dazzler, Defenders and was at the wedding of Reed and Sue Richards. Millie really had enough that she should get a Marvel Masterworks series. The Marvel Milestones book is a single issue at $3.99. I don't normally like spending that much on a comic book anymore but for you Millie I will do it. I love you and have missed you. Perhaps you will get that Masterworks series if sales on this are good enough. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Booksteve said...

When I took the Famous Artists School course tryout in 1971, I "borrowed" all of the fashions you have to design for the female figures from a couple issues of CHILI!