Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Dean Martin and Coca Cola


Over at Booksteve's he sometimes tells of the songs that are stuck in his head. Well not too long ago I got to hear this CD of Dean Martin songs. Many of them were pretty catchy and got stuck in my head. When I was younger I knew singers like Mr. Martin, Bing Crosby , Nat King Cole were good singers but I never really got into them as they were from my parents generation. Mine was The Beatles, The Monkees, Bee Gees, Boston etc. As I have gotten older my appreication for the crooners has increased and now I am proud to say I am a fan of their music. One of the songs that stuck in my head from this CD is called "Houston." It was a top 40 hit for Mr. Martin in the 60's. There was a story about that song in the liner notes of the CD. Mr. Martin was headlineing in Las Vegas & his daugther was singing in the lounge. He let her sing his newest hit Houston and let her use his arrangement. Later at dinner with her Dad she told him that there was a sound at the beginning of his record that even with his arrangement they were not able to duplicate. She asked him what it was. He said "Was it this?" Then he started tapping an empty Coke Bottle. She said that was the sound and that is how her Dad tapped an empty Coke bottle into a hit song. Posted by Picasa

No comments: