Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Janet Gray


Here is one of my favorite books I had, and still do, from when I was growing up. Adam of the Road is by Elizabeth Janet Gray and illustrated by Robert Lawson. It is a Newberry Medal Award winner. It takes place in the early days of England when the sun never set on it's empire. Adam's Mother has passed away and his Father raises him alone. Not an easy task since his Father is a Minstral. Adam is a very well adjusted and level headed boy. The road is home for Adam and his Dad. His adventure starts when Adam and his Father are seperated and someone steals Adam's beloved dog. The book follows him as he tries to cath up to his Father and find his dog.
I remember first hearing about this book when I was in a class at Ryland Heights Elementary. They brought in a TV and showed us a tv show on PBS where a lady read us part of the stroy. When I saw it for sale in the bookstore in Sears in Cincinnati I asked my Mom and Dad to buy it. They did and I have loved it ever since. It was the first hardcover book I owned that was not a text book. If you wish to purchase it on line you can click on Books I Like Store to get the book. If you want your children to learn about the history of England then this book can help. Posted by Picasa

No comments: