Sunday, October 29, 2006

Jughead #174


I know it may be late to write about issue #174 of Jughead but I just got it yesterday. Now if you have been reading this blog long then it comes as no surprise to you that I am a fan of Archie comics. For years now I have thought that the heart of the Archie series was fading from all there books. The exception is from the digest series and that is mostly because they are also doing reprints of their older books in that series along with the new stories. Well with this issue of Jughead I think this has changed. Either that or I was in need of a good laugh. Now I don’t want to give away too much of any of the stories in case you decide to buy it. As with all good Archie and his gang stories the fun is in the journey not the destination. Basically the stories revolve around Jughead and Archie helping Chuck win a sporting event. Another is Jughead trying to help Dilton with getting a new hobby and the last is Jughead as a ladies man. The last one is hilarious and most of it is sight gags. It also starts off with something I had wanted Archie of Reggie to say for years. They have a problem with a couple of girls and Reg says to Arch…”Sometimes, I understand Jughead’s attitude toward females!” I have been reading Archie comics since I was a little boy when I thought girls had kooties so this really satisfied the little boy in me. There were no gimmicks in this issue. They were all just simple slices of life with Jug trying to help his friends and finding out that girls don’t have kooties. The writer or writers for this book found the heart of the Archie universe. I didn’t even mind that Archie was driving a red convertible instead of his red jalopy anymore. If this book is still available at your local comic book store or local supermarket I recommend that you buy it.


Also I am using this post to see if with the template change that I can post photos. I hope you see the cover of the book above. If not I hope beta blogger will rectify that very soon. Beta blogger please get on the ball with Netscape 7.2 and Picasa!!

No comments: