Thursday, March 22, 2007

Batman Models


In the mid 1960's Batman was everywhere thanks to his twice a week, later once a week, TV show. DC had him merchandised out everywhere. You could see Batman and Robin on everything from toys to notebook binders. One of the toys that was popular at the time were the model hobby kits. Batman was on one of his own swinging down from a tree with the batarang ready to clobber the villain. Robin, as this ad says, came later and was throwing a huge electrical switch. This ad is selling the Batmobile and the Batplane. Neither of them did I see for sale. With the success of Batman on TV other local stations were airing the Adventures of Superman with George Reeves. He too had a model with Superman busting through a brick wall. That model I did see. My cousins Jeff and Randy had one completed and painted in their room. For some reason I can't remember which one I had. I think it was the Batman one. I have always wanted the Superman one. Perhaps I will some day as they still bring them out from time to time.
The only problem I have with this ad is the wrong one is saying "Holy Hobby Kits!" That was Robin's catch phrase. Robin should have said it and Batman could have said "Right you are old chum!"

No comments: