Monday, June 18, 2007

My Two Cents: Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer


Well I got to see the new Fantastic Four movie this past weekend. I have since read some reviews of the film. Most of them negative and if I had read them about the first film I might have agreed. The first film was just ok for my taste. I didn't think that the first film did well enough for a sequel but I am glad that it did as this movie was a rarity. It was one of the few sequels that is better then the first film. Now much has been made in the tabloids of Jessica Alba loosing too much weight. I have to agree with that as when I first saw her in the movie I didn't know who she was. The effects are not of the Saturday morning variety as some reviews have suggested. They really made me fell as if I was with the Silver Surfer. The only problem I had was when Galactius showed up. He was not shown as an alien who is as big as a solar system. He was shown as a lot of wind like he was just a big storm. I couldn't wait for him to show and was disappointed when he did.
I loved how this was about two comic book stories combined into one. The first was when Mr. Fantastic and the Invisable Woman get married. I loved Stan Lee being turned away at the door because his name was not on the guest list. That happened to him and Jack Kirby in the comic book as well.
The other was when Dr. Doom tries to steal the power of the Silver Surfer. He is of course successful. However, when they learn that the surfer is not the biggest threat to the planet and he is willing to help them stop Galactius they have to stop doom and get the Silver Surfer his power back. They get into the Fantasticar to follow he nearly defeats them but realize that they can't while attacking one at a time so the combine their four powers into Johnny and he defeats Dr. Doom. Then the Surfer flies to battle his former boss. Once he is successful our four friends know that all is well. Reed and Sue finally get married but in Japan instead of New York.
The photo of the Fantastic Four Annual is the one where they got married in 1965. If you wish to buy it you can click here to go to the auction site where the auction ends today.

No comments: