Saturday, July 28, 2007

This Day In Music History: Elvis and I Want You, I Need You, I Love You


On this day in music history, July 28,1956, Elvis Presley had the #1 song in the country on the Billboard charts with I Want You, I Need You, I Love You. It was recorded on April 11, 1956 and was the only song he recorded that day. The song was released in May and on June 5th Elvis made an apperance on the Milton Berle Show. This is the song that he sang on the show as well as Hound Dog. At the time Ed Sullivan said that he would never have Elvis on his show. Others had no problem with Elvis appearing on their show and Steve Allen paid him $7,500 to appear on his show July 1st and sing the same songs he did on the Milton Berle Show.

Elvis gave us an early example of how television can help sell records. In 1976 an alternate take of I Want You, I Need You, I Love You was released. In it Elvis got the words wrong and sang I Need You, I Want You, I Love You.
If you want to buy the sheet music you see above you can buy it here on E-Bay.

No comments: