Thursday, August 30, 2007

A New Jughead Jones Interview


After hearing of the legal problems that are recently surrounding Peter Noone I was reminded of how other 60’s groups like the Beatles and the Bee Gees also had similar battles after the group broke up or a few members left. I decided to put in a call to my friend, Jughead Jones, to see why we never heard of this happening to the Archies.

Jughead Jones: Hi! Nice to hear from you again.

On My Mind: It’s nice to talk to you too. I wish I had a more pleasant reason to call.

JJ: What do you mean?

OMM: I was hoping to interview you about the issues with Peter Noone.

JJ: Well I have heard about it but I’m not sure what I can tell you but sure you can interview me.

OMM: Actually I was wondering if any of this ever happened to the Archies. Where there ever any legal battles among the members of the group?

JJ: Not to the extent of this or what other bands had by the time the 1970’s came around.

OMM: What where they and how did they come out?

JJ: Well after we reached the height of our fame the group decided to renegotiate our contract once it was up. But when that came about Don (Kirshner), gave us such a great deal that there was no need to do that.

OMM: Do you recall the specifics of the new contract?

JJ: Well the old one was we were paid a flat fee. It was like a regular job. Any songs we wrote we signed away to Don. When our contract came up, before we could make any noise about wanting more money, Don gave us more money and gave us 50% of the rights to past songs we wrote and 75% to all future songs. We all signed right away.

OMM: Have you ever regretted not asking for sole ownership of the songs you wrote?

JJ: I haven’t. We were kids and the first time around we knew we wouldn’t get a deal like other big groups. The second time we may have been able to get sole ownership of our songs but we all thought of Don and Jeff Berry as Father figures of at least like close Uncles.

OMM: So out of respect…

JJ: We didn’t want them to think we were greedy.

OMM: Is that as close as you came to a lawsuit?

JJ: No there was another time. It came not long after the break up. Now you have to understand that Don owned the rights to the group name. So that is why Archie started the Cuff Links. He didn’t have the right to his own name as the name of the group. Don has said since then that he would have let Archie use the name since it was his own name but if I or any of the others tried he wouldn’t. He didn’t have to tell us this as he proved it when Reggie started his own group in the early 70’s. He thought he found a way around anyone suing him by calling them The New Archies. Don threatened a lawsuit almost immediately.

OMM: What did Archie have to say about this?

JJ: He told me he thought about suing but didn’t have any legal grounds and wanted to stay on friendly terms with Reggie. Don had deeper pockets so he decided to see what would happen with him and if he was called as a witness he would have appeared in court. Thankfully none of that happened as Reggie disbanded his new group to avoid the lawsuit. He was always after us to call the Archies the Reggies. I don’t know why he didn’t just call his new group that. The reunions that we have attempted since the break up have all had the approval of Don.

OMM: Did you or anyone have any problems with the Archies using studio musicians?

JJ: Back then yes. Everyone was ok with it but me. As I told you before I had a big drug problem back then and some times I was too high to show up. Now some of those times Reggie took over the drums if I didn’t show. I didn’t mind that as it was kept inside the group. However, when studio musicians were used I would loose it. One day I arrived at the studio just as they were finishing up. I don’t remember who was at the drums but I believe it was Eddie Hoe. Yes it was Eddie Hoe. Well I saw him there with Arch, Betty, Ronnie and Reg. We even had Moose and Dilton visiting that day. Anyway I blew my top. I pulled Eddie to his feet and decked him. I kicked a hole through the bass drum and just as Arch came over to calm me down I grabbed his guitar and threw it through the studio window.


OMM: You trashed the place!

JJ: Yep! That was the last time we were allowed in that studio too. I think it was the last time Eddie Hoe replaced me at the drums. It was also the time I thought I should get off of the drugs. We went on tour and the rest of the gang didn’t want anything to do with me. Ever spent months traveling with people who didn’t want to even look at you? Not a pleasant experience.

OMM: How did Dilton and Moose treat you after that?

JJ: Before that we would always write or call each other. After that it was about a year before either one would return my calls so I could apologize. Everything is now fine with all of us and now that is water under the bridge. Anyway I am sorry to cut it short but I have to go now. I don’t see any type of suits in the near future from Don or any of the Archies and I hope that Peter and Barry can put this behind them and stay friends.

No comments: