Friday, February 01, 2008

The Golden Age is Gone Forever


I can't say I am happy with the turn in the life of Captain America in issue #34. Yes Marvel comics has "decided" to make Bucky Barnes Captain America. I do have to say that if we can't have Steve Rogers any more I am happy that it is Bucky or even Rick Jones would have been a good choice. I was expecting them to say they decided to have the government create a new one with a character that readers had never heard of before. As much as I love the art of Alex Ross I have to say I am not happy with the new costume either. I believe I saw the art on the internet for the new costume around the time they killed him off. I could be wrong. Yes I still hope that one day Steve Rogers will be Cap. I also hope the same for Barry Allen to come back as the Flash. So don't anyone hold your breath while waiting.
With all of the revisions in comics, Steve Rogers was the last link to the golden age of comics. When life was more innocent and simple. Even World War II that spawned him was a pretty black and white conflict. With the news media today showing every angle of a story it takes a lot of thinking to push away the gray shadows see the issues that are really there. With the passing of the original Captain America life will never be the same. Even if they do bring him back it may never be the same.

No comments: