Saturday, February 09, 2008

My Second 45


Not long ago I recalled when I got my first 45. It was a second hand one of the Monkees Daydream Believer. Today I recall my second 45. It was the duet between Elton John and Kiki Dee singing "Don't Go Breaking My Heart." I bought it at Elsmere Drugs in Elsmere, Ky. Now the owner of the place was named Sid and he and my Grandad where friends. So everyone in my family called it Sid's. For the first 20 years of my life I never heard anyone call it Elsmere Drugs. It was when I was in college and I was talking to my friend Chuck and I told him I was going to Sid's and he didn't know what I was talking about. I told him where it was at. I remember saying "It was the place on Dixie Highway in Elsmere next to the bakery." His eyes lit up with recognition and he said "You mean Elsmere Drugs?" That was when I realized not everyone called it Sid's.

Anyway I bought this with my own money and I believe it was the first one I bought with my own money. I remember listening to it with my friends Dave, Chuck (another Chuck) and Doug. We all enjoyed it. I remember Dave wondering if Elton and Kiki were dating as they positioned him on the picture sleeve looking at her. Oh if we only knew then.

I have loved many of Elton John's songs. Two of my favorites of his early songs where "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" and "Don't Go Breaking My Heart." I will never for get how could it felt to hear them for the first time.

3 comments:

Craig Zablo said...

There was a long gap between your first and second 45s. My first was "Take a Letter Maria" and I don't remember my second... maybe "Julie Do You Love Me" by Bobby Sherman. LOL!

I was into Elton John for a number of years. "Bennie and the Jets" was so cool... and such a change from "Daniel."

Rick L. Phillips said...

Perhaps I should have said it was the 2nd one I remember either I wanted to buy or asking my parents to buy for me. I can't recall if there was any in between but there may have been as some would buy me one as a gift from time to time but I never asked for them.

Jeff Van Devender said...

I always liked Snow Queen on the flipside of Don't Go Breaking... Elton w/ Kiki backing...'like white wine when it's chilled.'

Funny, my first 45 was 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' along with David Essex's Rock On. Of course, then came Benny & The Jets followed by a prolific run of wonderful hit 45's for the next several years. Each song just kept getting better & better.
Cheers!

Jeff