Sunday, May 18, 2008

Americathon: We Have Arrived

Anyone remember the movie Americathon? It came out in 1979 and the star was John Ritter as the President and Harvey Korman as a television star. The energy crisis had gotten out of control and the President order that Harvey host a telethon to raise money to get America out of debt. Gas cost so much that most people were not driving anymore. They lived in their cars and either walked, jogged, skated, or rode a bike to where they were going. Well that movie took place in the future. We must have arrived at that point as I am always hearing of people riding bikes to work. Yesterday I walked to work. It took a half an hour but I saved gas. I even walked to church this morning. Why waste gas if it is within walking distance?
I wanted to show a video of the movie here but couldn't find one. I did find a video of a Beach Boys song from the soundtrack album. It is called "It's A Beautiful Day." Why this wasn't a hit for them I may never know. It has one of the best vocals Mike Love has ever sung.

OOPS! That wasn't Mike Love singing the parts I liked best. It was Al Jardine. Man! They should have let him sing more often.

4 comments:

Craig Zablo said...

Wow! I had forgotten about that movie until you mentioned it. Didn't it have Meatloaf in a co-starring role or appearance? LOL! I saw it as the 2nd or 3rd feature at a drive-in. Man, I miss drive-ins.

Rick L. Phillips said...

I don't remember Meatloaf being in it but he was everywhere at that time so he probably was. I miss drive ins too. There was always the joke about how the most popular movie at the drive in was Closed For The Winter.

Booksteve said...

All these years I thought that song was called "Living Out in LA!" One of my favorite Beach Boys numbers. The film is way too episodic but quite timely the way things have been going! Ritter was good. Yes, Meatloaf appears as does Jay Leno, Elvis Costello (still in his angry young punk mode, Fred Willard and Howard Hesseman. It was written by Proctor and Bergman from the Firesign Theatre. They also wrote the great and even more forgotten J-MEN FOREVER!

Rick L. Phillips said...

Is there any cult movie or TV show that Fred Willard hasn't been in?