Thursday, January 05, 2006

Happy Birthday George Reeves

Today would have been George Reeves birthday. He was born Jan. 5th 1914. If he were alive he would be 92 years old today. Tragically he died early. Some say it was murder. Some say he killed himself. It is one of Hollywood's great mysteries. We will never know the truth. Today let's not celebrate his death. Let's celebrate the birth of a man who helped give millions of little children joy all over the world.
I was 5 or 6 years old when I first saw "The Adventures of Superman" It was 1966 and the shows I saw were repeats but I didn't know that. We lived in the country in Ryland Heights, Kentucky. I remember being outside in the front yard playing. When my Mom opened the door. She called to me and said "Superman's on TV!" Suddenly what I was playing was not as important and I came running inside. With the fanfare of music, the announcement of "It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman." I was transported to Metropolis and for a half an hour I could make believe that not only was Jimmy Olsen his best friend but I was too. Whenever I hear that opening music I am 6 years old again feeling just as I did when I lived in Ryland Heights.
The above photo is from Mary Spooner's site http://www.celebhost.net/georgereeves/ Clark looks like he is getting ready to use his X-ray vision doesn't he? Also, the DVD set of season one is on sale and later this month Season two goes on sale. You can purchase them at Amazon by clicking here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BT96F0/ref=imdbdpov_dvd_1/104-6281411-6542349?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130
or you can buy them from Mary at her site. Posted by Picasa

No comments: