Sunday, January 01, 2006

My first visit from Kris Kringle

Last night I remembered one of my earliest memories from New years Eve. You see on New Years eve the kids in my family would get a visit from Kris Kringle. I know that is really Santa Claus but back then I didn't know it and actually not all the kids in my family celebrated Kris Kringle but that is another story. Anyway it was New Years Eve. Mom and Dad were watchin Lawrence Welk play in the New Year when suddenly there was a knock at the door. They told me to go answer the door and watched me as I went to the door. I sort of knew something was up as I was about 5 or 6t years old at the time and they never let me answer the door. I opened the door and no one was there. I looked around but didn't see anyone outside. I was about to close the door when I looked down and saw a brown paper bag. I saw a 16 ounce bottle of Pepsi sticking out of the top and then inside the bag was alot of candy. I told Mom and Dad what I found and they told me it was from Kris Kringle. He came every New Years Eve and gave small bags of candy and toys to children. Well that made me happy. This bag of candy with the 16 ounce Pepsi was all mine. The 16 ounce bottle stuck in my mind as at the time I was only given 8 ounce bottles. So this was the biggest Pepsi I had ever seen. Later when I got older I found out that the Kris Kringle on my first visit was really my Grandma. She lived next door and came over to put the bag on our porch and then went home. The above photo was taken from an auction on e-bay at http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-Pepsi-Cola-Store-Display-Soda-Pop-Sign-Old-Stock_W0QQitemZ7208678923QQcategoryZ13616QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
you can click on the previous item to go to that site and place a bid if you wish. Posted by Picasa

No comments: