Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Cavemen

I just saw Cavemen. To be honest neither one of these shows started off with a bang for me. The one I was really looking forward to was Cavemen. I grew up when fantasy was big on TV. Shows like Mr. Ed, Bewitched and My Favorite Martian. So I had high hopes for Cavemen. The first half of Cavemen was boring. Not much to laugh at. Towards the end the show got funnier but not much. To my surprise Cavemen is a realtionship comedy. The basis of the show revolved around the 4 friends who are of course cavemen. One is a ladies man, another heartbroken over an ended relationship, the third is one who thinks cavemen should only date cavewomen and the last is one who is the formers roomate who is dating a Homo sapien and thinks she is ashamed of him and won't let him meet her friends.
Everything works out in the end. While I did wind up laughing at some of the jokes I don't really see this becoming the new must see TV. I can't always tell what is going to be a hit. Friends is a perfect example. Their first show had me feeling that was a half an hour of my life I wouldn't get back. Still the show built and became one of the biggest hits of the 90's. This could happen to Cavemen or it could be gone in less then 13 weeks.
I think they would do better to take a lesson from the past instead of ignoring it or trying to change it like Bionic Woman did. What did I Dream of Jeannie, Mr. Ed and My Favorite Martian have in common? The person who was unusual was the only one. At least during the first season. The biggest thing of all that they had in common was that person had to hide that they were a Genie, a martian or that the horse could talk so they could fit into their society.
They could have had the caveman room with someone. He could have said he was their cousin from Europe or something like that. He would have to hide his extraordinary strength and different ways from the neighbors. Anyway that is how I would have produced the show.

No comments: