Saturday, March 22, 2008

Martin and Lewis in Three Ring Circus


As readers of this blog know I have recently watched many of the Martin and Lewis films. These were from the library edition of the Martin and Lewis Collection vol. 1 and 2. However, these collections are not complete. I know they are missing At War With the Army and Three Ring Circus. I have recently seen At War With the Army so I wasn't looking forward to that but I was hoping to see Three Ring Circus as it has been years since I have seen it. These are glaring omissions and needed to have been included. I have found AT War With the Army on some cheap DVD's but I can't find Three Ring Circus anywhere. Well I can't find the complete movie but I have found some clips on You Tube. I will post one here each day. Now the talking in the scenes are in a foreign language so these posts will stick to the slapstick comedy and the singing. Perhaps I will post videos of both singing as these movies reminded me of how well both men could sing. No surprise with Dean but I forgot how good a voice Jerry had when he did sing. Even in his funny voices he could harmonize well. Here today is a clip from You Tube called My Favorite Clown from Three Ring Circus.

4 comments:

dino martin peters said...

Thanks for sharin' this clip...have never seen this one of the Martin and Lewis films...I think the third missing film from the sets in "Money From Home." Looking forward to seeing more from "Three Ring Circus." Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Nice site.

You might be interested in jerrylewisfans.com.

It's a message board (no photos, clips, etc.), but there are some interesting discussions.

Anonymous said...

"Money From Home" is the other title missing from this collection. It is available in an excellent transfer from Legend Films vs. "At War With The Army" which is in the public domain and doesn't always look great.
Turner Classic Movies has shown a print of "At War..." that appears to be from an archive and looks pretty good but not commercially available.
I get the impression that perhaps "Three Ring Circus" is not available because Jerry Lewis doesn't want it released. There may be a rights issue but everything that I've ever read about the film leads me to believe that there was so much tension between the two stars that Jerry has never brought himself to watch it and as a result doesn't want anyone else to see it. It's also the only Martin & Lewis film to be cut up with a lot of Dean missing & re-released as "Jericho, the Wonder Clown"

Anonymous said...

Sorry, "Jerrico, The Wonder Clown". Spelling error.