Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Off to See the Wizard

Well I did some research on this show and tried last night to post it but there was an error in the posting. So I will try this morning. Perhaps if I leave out the photo that I had it will help. Anyway the show was suppose to be ABC's answer to NBC's Wonderful world of Disney. It was an anthology program that aired films for children on Friday nights. Shows like Flipper, Clarance the Cross Eyed Lion, Lili, nature documentaries etc.
The show was executive produced by Chuck Jones and had animated versions of the Wizard of Oz characters to introduce each movie. Of course they sang their version of Off to See the Wizard at the beginning of each program.
I remember watching Lili with Lesli Caron. Well I don't recall the plot very well but I do remember getting wierded out when the puppets came to life. I decided not to watch the rest of the movie at that point.
The show Alexander the Great that we previously discussed on this site was aired in January of 1968. It was a pilot that was produced in 1964. Adam West and William Shatner had become famous enough that ABC decided it would be profitable enough to air it this one time. Why they would air a program that showed an orgy during the family hour I don't know. I would imagine that they edited it out. Today with cable they would probably air the whole thing and in greater detail.
They must have had high hope for Off to See the Wizard. There was alot of merchandising for the show with board games, books and a talking hand puppet. I had the puppet and loved to pull the string to see what programed response would be next. Perhaps I will post a photo of that on here one day. It will probably be one I found elsewhere as I no longer have the puppet.

1 comment:

Booksteve said...

There was no "official" agreed upon Family Hour until about ten years later.